RE: Tips for Building the Designer2000 Repository

From: Red de la Cruz <Red.DelaCruz_at_JAMESMARTIN.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 22:01:29 -0400

Hi,

My 2 cents:

In addition to this:
1. Which I consider very important is to setup your standards:

	1.1 naming stds for all objects - Analysis objects:
	 	entity, processes/functions, domains, columns, diagrams,
repository, etc.
	    Design and development objects:
		tables, shortname, FK, PK, modules,server
objects(package,function, proc, 		triggers), etc.)
	1.2 GUI standards - so you could control the look and feel of your
screens and 				  reports(I suggest that right now
you do your templates). 					  There's

one product of Oracle which is HeadStart which could very well help you alot(in my case it did).
	1.3 Coding standards - when is the code put into the form trigger?
in the program 		unit? in the module library? in the application
library?
2. I agree with the stable data model. Stable in the sense that before transforming your ERD into a logical design(meaning logical tables)and eventually generating your modules, there should be very minimal data model changes or none at all. Changes have a big impact on your modules and your logical tables.
3. You need a Repository Administrator for this job.
4. Perform version control every time you'll have a major milestone.
5. You need to draw the line when to quit generation and do it in Developer.
100% generation on our scenarion is not achievable.

Red de la Cruz
Senior Consultant
James Martin + Co.

Author: Rusnak, George A. II