Tablespace storage/can disk fill?

From: <cemail_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:53:53 -0700

I have an index tablespace that someone had set maxextents to unlimited. The datafiles in that tablespace do not have auto extend turned on. The disk that those datafiles are on is 98% full. I realize that the storage for objects that don't have storage specified will take the default of the tablespace (in this case, unlimited).

  1. With these settings, could the objects themselves extend beyond the current datafile sizes causing the disk to completely fill?
  2. If I want to now set maxextents to a limited amount (when it had previously been sent to unlimited), how can I know what a "safe" number is to set it too?

Oracle 8.05/HPUX

Sent using MailStart.com ( http://MailStart.Com/welcome.html ) The FREE way to access your mailbox via any web browser, anywhere! Received on Thu Jun 29 2000 - 12:53:53 CDT