Re: Oracle on Linux Anyone?

From: Philip J. Tully <xaphil_at_vm.worldnet.ml.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:06:00 -0400

AS the originator of this question, let me explain why the question.

I am a Systems programmer on an IBM VM/ESA platform. Recently, LINUX for S/390 was installed on one of my systems. In justifying the effort, I looked around at application groups that could benefit by having a very powerful *nix server platform to work with. The first group that jumped out is running approx. 250 Solaris machines with Oracle. This 250 includes Prod, Dev, hot standby and test. The group was being forced to relocate 150 miles away. In planning the move their inventory of machines showed some older less stable hardware (being used for dev & test) which they need to replace. The 80 machines they are preparing specs for will cost 9K-12k each. On the other hand I could run 80 copies of Linux on my system with little or no processor impact.

So the issue here is cutting $800k in hardware, plus significant network costs $3-6k per month (my system can virtualize the network connections required), plus more than half of their support staff will not move to the new location so this could cut out some full time employees cost, we estimated a first year savings of $1million. with next 4 years $400k annual savings.

Of course right now Oracle only supports Linux on an Intel platform.

regards
Phil Tully