Re: Oracle on Linux Anyone?

From: Philip J. Tully <xaphil_at_vm.worldnet.ml.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:06:10 -0400

"Gait, Christopher" wrote:

> By all means lobby Oracle to get moving on the L390 OS. I've already sent an
> email (so far unanswered) to the Oracle liaison to IOUG-A's Oracle on Linux
> SIG. I see there being at least two tremendous potentials for Oracle on IBM
> mainframes:
>
> 1) With the introduction of power unit costing for Web RDBMS servers, the
> cost of running small to medium instances on powerful servers becomes
> prohibitive. So why not put a whole flock of them on one S/390, have the
> owner of the mainframe pay one HUGE licensing fee to Oracle, then split up
> that resource into a zillion little instances hosted commercially on the
> mainframe. I see it as an ideal solution to a growing problem: we get our
> small Web company's covered; IBM sells mainframes (something they have some
> experience with); and Larry Ellison gets to buy another T'ang dynasty jade
> back-scratcher with his earnings from the deal.

Obviously the license fees would be something to consider if this goes forward.
Is Oracle priced on the instance, size of machine or number of users?

> 2. Oracle Parallel Server is facing some really tough challenges on the
> market now and in the future. A lot of people are clamoring for ever larger
> and more reliable humongous 24X7 gizillion-node OPS installations. If Oracle
> comes out with an OPS that can make us of L390 I think it could become the
> next big thing in large Web commerce platforms. When you have a
> share-everything system, but all the disk and memory is handled by one
> rock-solid platform and hundreds of nodes on Linux, each individually
> tunable as their own instance, that's something to contend with for the
> current 'share-nothing' school of parallel processing that Oracle is going
> up against.

Having a single machine with MTBF of years capable of running multiple instances of
the software is S/390. Separating the "real" memory, network and disk considerations
from the Oracle side would be beneficial for support. The current uptime record o
n my machind is 377 businss day (almost 2 full years) regars d