Re: METALINK and OWS

From: Michael Sun <mikeny31_at_speakeasy.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 23:10:08 -0400

If you have time, a BIG if that is, set up different queries, passing hints to make sure differen execution plan will be picked up (and verified by EXPLAIN PLAN and/or trace/tkprof), and time the performance using DBMS_UTILITY.GET_TIME. What Rachel said, and in fact, recommended by Oracle is absolutely true. However, the number Rachel refered to, as low as 3-5% or as high as 20%, is for a 'typical' set up. It all boils down to a 'simple' choice for the optimizer to make : is it more efficient to do a full table scan or index (unique, range) scan to find and return the rows you ask for?

And that choice depends just 'a few' factors:

  1. How many rows the table has?
  2. What is the avg_row_len(gth)?
  3. What is your block_size?
  4. What is your db_file_multi_block_read_count setting?
  5. Do you have updated and accurate statistics on your table?
  6. Do you have updated and accurate statistics on your index?
  7. How uniformly is your indexed column data distributed? If not, do you have histograms?
  8. Where are you data and index tablespace datafiles physically located? Will it cause excessive I/O contention when both are accessed at the same time?

I am sure there are a few factors here that I missed. But the message is the same, do your own homework. There is just some piece of information nobody knows better than you do. What do you think, Rachel?

Michael