Re: METALINK and OWS

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:50:07 GMT

Nicholas,

Sorry... I thought most people knew this. Oracle says that if a query will return more than 20% of the rows of a table, it will use a full table scan. So you DON'T tune it to use an index. In fact, as of 8i, I believe Oracle now recommends that if a query returns as little as 3-5% of a table, a full table scan is the way to go.

As for places to look for tuning information:

Oracle docs -- the Tuning Guide
Advanced Oracle Tuning and Adminstration -- Oracle Press, Loney, Aronoff and Sonawalla

Rachel