(no subject)

From: Steve Macaulay <SMacaulay_at_CCDC2.NE.CONTINENTAL.COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 08:45:00 -0500

Search for and check out your README files under $ORACLE_HOME. If you are using a link in your ORACLE_HOME, you may be experiencing the problem described there.

From: Tribble Dave
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Date: Friday, March 01, 1996 3:56PM

I ran into the same problem on an HP. The ORACLE_HOME was set to a path that included a link name (e.g. /oracle_home/something). When I changed it to reflect the real path, I had a tough time restarting the database. Guess: Oracle keeps HOME info in the control file too?

From: owner-oracle-l
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Date: Friday, March 01, 1996 12:51PM

The following describes a problem were experiencing on one of our servers:

  1. server SUN Classic 1000 running Solaris 2.4, Oracle 7.1.3. Instance created using control file mirroring, 3 control files ; environment variables : ORACLE_HOME set to /u02/home/dba/oracle/product/7.1.30, and path set to include ORACLE_HOME (/u02/home/dba/oracle/product/7.1.30)

Signon sqldba , startup instance, database comes up. Shutdown instance,
Instance comes down,
check to ensure all process completed ps -ef | grep ora no process running.

2. Change environment variable ORACLE_HOME to use absolute pathname ie /SCUP/u02/home/dba/oracle/product/7.1.30 everything else remains as in step 1.

signon to sqldba
startup the instance
receive the following error messages:

ora 0205 - error in identifying control file 'name' (interesting as control file names have not been changed in init.ora parameters, they remain the same as in step 1).

ora - 09782 - another instance has the same database mounted.

( tail the ora.trc file produced and received the following volume of information: INSTANCE
'satsp:/u02/home/dba/oracle/product/7.1.30' has the database mounted already'. go figure , it was shutdown clean)

Some where there must be some information stored that will not allow us to bring up the same database using the ORACLE_HOME environment variable set to the absolute path name.

Has anyone out there any ideas???, run across this before??? I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks,

L. Ladouceur,
Bank of Canada
234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0G9 Received on Mon Mar 04 1996 - 13:31:32 CST