Re: Second instance

From: John Flack <JOHNF_at_SYNMHS.USA.COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 15:26:50 -0500

> To: mail_at_ih (Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L)
 {ORACLE-L_at_ccvm.sunysb.edu}
> Date: 26-Jan-96 09:16:39 -0500
> I have installed a second instance (test) on my system, I have alrady
 installed
> prod instance..
> The installation has been finished successfuly, but I can't start the test
> instance simultaneously with the prod instance. I have the error message:
>
> SQLDBA> startup open test
> ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set.
> SVR4 Error: 28: No space left on device
> Additional information: 1
> SQLDBA>
>
> However, I can start the test instance when the prod instance is shutdown!

You are running short of semaphores in the system - there are only enough to service one instance at a time. Raise one or both of the system kernel parameters, SEMMNI or SEMMNS. Check your System Administrator's Reference Guide and Installation and Configuration Guide for recommendations as to how to determine the proper settings for these. I believe that it is a function of the init.ora parameter, processes - one semaphore per process. Received on Fri Jan 26 1996 - 17:27:25 CST