Reply to SQLDBA sessions

From: John Griffin <johng_at_RMF41.USACE.ARMY.MIL>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 15:40:28 -0600

> Greetings, Fellow OraHax!!
>
> I am currently running v7.x on AIX, SunOS and HP-UX, with other
> Unii to follow at some point in time. I am writing a horrendously
> complicated script which generates another horrendously complicated
> script to be fed through SQLDBA. The SQLDBA script is of the
> format:
>
> do_sql_action;
> !do_unix_action
> do_some_more_sql_stuff;
> !do_some_more_unix_stuff
> more_sql;
> more_sql;
> still_more_sql;
> !more_unix_junk
> !and so on ad nauseum
> exit
>
> So far, to the best of my analysis, the SQL script waits for the
> subprocess to complete before issuing the next statement (SQL or
> Unix). And, this is fine by me, 'cuz I need synchronous processing
> on this one. Has anyone, on ANY UNIX platform, seen the subprocess
> submitted asynchronously (or spawn/nowait for you VMSheads) ??

No, never saw it asynchronous......

> This, of course, begs the secondary question: if I *needed*
> asynchronous processing, is there anyway to tell SQLDBA to do
> that ??

Yeah, use the background processing feature by ending your cmd with the '&' character....of course, you'll have to escape it to keep from having it processed as a SQL*Plus replacement variable.....something like

      !some unix stuff i don't care to wait for \&

> Extra credit awarded to anyone answering both questions...
> Bambi.

OK, so what do I win????

John Griffin                (205) 890-2401  |       A    TTTTTTT  SSSSS
Advanced Technology Systems (ATS), Inc.     |     A   A     T     S
4801 University Square, Suite 2             |     AaaaA     T     SSSSS
Huntsville, AL  35816-3431                  |     A   A     T         S
johng_at_rmf41.usace.army.mil                  |     A   A     T     SSSSS