Re: SQLDBA sessions

From: Jennifer Pivovar <jpivovar_at_SPROCKET.LCP.COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 16:46:07 -0500

Bambi:

> do_sql_action;
> !do_unix_action
> do_some_more_sql_stuff;
> !do_some_more_unix_stuff
> etc
>
> So far, to the best of my analysis, the SQL script waits for the
> subprocess to complete before issuing the next statement (SQL or
> Unix). And, this is fine by me, 'cuz I need synchronous processing
> on this one. Has anyone, on ANY UNIX platform, seen the subprocess
> submitted asynchronously (or spawn/nowait for you VMSheads) ??
  Yes. It seems that, submitted under SQLDBA, you will always wait until   the host command is done before getting the SQLDBA prompt back. This   is not always true of host scripts in general.

> This, of course, begs the secondary question: if I *needed*
> asynchronous processing, is there anyway to tell SQLDBA to do
> that ??

  Of course. Run it in the background. Try:

        DBA> !find . -name "whatever" -print >$HOME/junk 2>&1 &   and you will get the prompt back while the forked process executes.   The above example is korn shell syntax. (be sure to redirect your   std error as well as the std output)

  Running async DBA commands is another matter - can't be done in the   same dba session, so would have to call multiple dba sessions from   a controlling script.