Re: List of Universities Using Oracle

From: . <MANAGER_at_SSWDSERVER.SSWD.CSUS.EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 18:45:28 -0500

> Date sent: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 12:23:42 -0500
> From: R Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_SWARTHMORE.EDU>
> Subject: Re: List of Universities Using Oracle
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
 <ORACLE-L_at_ccvm.sunysb.edu>

> > Paul,
> > This may be true but I have encountered at least three who are Oracle users
> > and Not Banner,
> > 2 in CO and 1 in NH. I have also heard rumors that Oracle Corp. is trying
> > to build Administrative Systems for Higher Ed., I do not know if anyone has
> > gone live with those from Oracle Corp.
>
> That would be interesting given that SCT is one of Oracle's largest VARS
> according to what they've told us (SCT). I've never heard of this. There
> might be some academic sites using Oracle Financials or one of the other
> Oracle Applications, though.

According to conventional wisdom, Banner will never be suitable for larger Universities. Part of the this is supposedly because of SCT's merger with the ugly but stable Cobol-VSAM IA/SIS+ (Information Associates/Student Information System). We have SIS+ and other IA modules on our campus mainframe here, and use Focus batch reporting (which from the viewpoint of a humble PC LAN Oracle programmer, stinks mightily).

SIS+ runs on IBM mainframes (is there a production DB/2 version?) for bigger sites than Banner can handle. Why would SCT shoot themselves in the IA/SIS+ foot by building Banner up? No one seems to have heard anywhere that SCT intends for Banner and SIS+ to ever converge on one (Oracle compatible?) SQL code base.

On the other hand, Oracle might see an opening in the "big" University SQL application market for the same reasons. Or maybe there are just lots of unhappy Banner customers that Oracle thinks it can can ambush? I remember somethings about some Banner platforms that are still only supported on Forms 2.3, or was it Forms 3?

Any corrections/feedback are appreciated,

BXR Received on Thu Jan 18 1996 - 18:48:49 CST