'Orphaned' user processes

From: Tom Morris <uskimnvm_at_IBMMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 14:43:25 EST

> FROM: Tom Morris - Kimball International, Inc. (812) 482-8263
> Information Systems USKIMNVM_at_IBMMAIL.COM

 SUBJECT: 'Orphaned' user processes

   We've got an application using SQL*FORMS 3.0 on HP-UX 9.0.4 and the  users access it from their PC by logging on to Unix. For various  reasons, such as when a network problem occurs, or a power outage  occurs, or user error, these users become disconnected from the network  and from Oracle and HP-UX, but their sessions still exist on our HP server.  Thus, if a user reboots his/her PC after logging on, he/she leaves  about 4 processes hanging around. One is for the Korn shell, one for  SQL*FORMS connection (I think), one for the script that brings up the  menu, and one for the Oracle connection. Our weekly IPL's of the HP  server clean these up, but sometimes we get so many that we hit the  limit on Kernel parameters like NFILE or NPROC.

   My question is how do you handle cleanup of any of the 'orphaned' tasks  I've mentioned. Since this is an Oracle list I was wondering if anybody  had ideas on the Oracle task part, but if you have suggestions for the  parts that are more HP-UX related that would be great too!

   We're on our way to moving to SQL*NET V2 from V1, and I plan to try  out using the TIMEOUT feature which is not currently being used at any  of your V2 production instances. We're on Oracle 7.0.16.

   TIA,
   Tom

?? 'Orphaned' user processes Received on Tue Jan 16 1996 - 15:57:02 CST