But a recent mishap accident with my father has made me realize that there are far more difficult and significant things in life than I had yet to confront and I was not prepared to handle it alone.
Diwali the festival of lights had just gone by and we were all in a cheerful mood. My brother and his family were back home in India and the grand parents were having a good time with grand kids. My dad has just returned back to India after a pleasant three month stay with me here in USA.
Then came the scary Halloween trick for me. On a fateful day of Oct 30th 2016, just after Diwali in Bhilai, India my dad slipped and fell and the back of his neck hit the swing base. It was not a major accident by external measures, no external bleeding or wound, but it was severe enough to compress the nerves to a point were he could not move or stand up. He was lying on the floor, lifeless and could not move his both legs and one hand.
He was fortunately able to make an audible alarm and was picked up , lifted and transported to hospital. He was immediately admitted to Bhilai Sec-9 hospital in Chhattisgarh, India. There it was diagnosed that he already had a case of OPLL () and this fall and immobility are symptoms of a final breakdown.
OPLL is a calcification of the soft tissues that connect the spinal bones which results in a narrowing of the spinal canal and compression of the cervical spinal cord.
The cause of OPLL is unclear and I could not get a certain answer from anyone, but was told that people of Asian heritage especially Japanese have a higher likelihood of developing OPLL. Also more men seem to be affected than women.
OPLL SymptomsMost patients with OPLL are asymptomatic with no symptoms at all, but others may experience mild pain and numbness in the arms and/or legs to complete numbness in the extremities. The symptoms are similar to those of cervical cord compression.
Treatment of OPLLThis depends on the stage of OPLL and in my case , my dad is at stage 4 and that is the severest stage. Conservative treatment like activity modification and exercises may help relieve the pain caused by OPLL but I was told that open spine surgery is required.
If pressure is not relieved on the spinal cord then future damage and loss of neurological function is very much possible. At sec 1 Bhilai hospital, my brother was told that this may affect respiratory functions as well. So they advised immediate surgery and there is a major risk when you open up the spine.
Since then in last 2 months we have gone through many things and are working on getting this thing taken care of. It is a big help that my brother is back home in India and can execute on many on site things. Simple things like opening zipper or buttons that we take granted for in life start to seem like mammoth tasks. What you can do in person on site, is a significant thing in such circumstances.
I would like to thanks and credit the following websites for some of my research. Indian Government portal surprisingly had a good amount of research papers at NCBI.
We have undergone surgery since then and in future articles I will share more details, but if anyone is in similar situation, I will be glad to share detailed notes. I was helped by many known and unknown people so my heartfelt thanks goes out to them and I plan to pay it forward.
Realtime micro targeting is possible, in the same way as it is with any other type of CRM data - data is pre-loaded into Adobe Audience manager (AAM) and as soon as AAM sees that particular user in realtime, it can show specific segment messaging based on their segment qualification. They key here is how finely you define your segments. The more micro targeting you do, the more personal the message will appear.
The thing that is not realtime is sending CRM data to AAM, but once the data is dropped to AAM it is available later for real-time use after some sync duration.
Thanks for reading
By now we all know that passionate hackers are very smart and they will always have a edge over whatever known systems we can create (Firewall, IPS etc). Even the best SIO (Security Intelligence Operations) team cannot possibly know of each and every malware in advance so a traditional approach of IPS or Malware detection based on signature is so stone age thing now.
What is behind these recent acquisitions by Palo Alto Networks and FireEye ? Domain Talent and Virtualization
1) Cost Plus
2) EVC (Economic Value to Customer)
3) Competitive Marketplace
2) Break down your costs into buckets (Server, support, manpower, gas, commute, task time, delivery model and expertise) and then have a variable formulae based on weightage to what you have in plenty and what is scarce for you.
3) Research your industry (business cycle, technology trend)
4) Research your customers (segment the market, are you their strategic partner, long term potential).
When growth comes to standstill or products start to become commodity …nothing else matters as much as maintaining your Gross Margin.
A company can have stagnant revenue but Wall Street will still reward it's shares if it show profitability growth and how do you do it? Look no further than Gross Margin.
Essentially the five pillars of Gross Margin improvement are:
- Financial Planning
- Operational Effectiveness
- Pricing Optimization
- Product Management
- Sales Effectiveness
The 8 top most things that come to my mind when we look at GM in high-tech industry from an operations perspective are (in no order of importance).
NMS - (Fixed + variable) OthersPortfolio AlignmentNMS - Freight SavingsOver HeadTransformation SavingsSupplier SavingsProduct and Theater MixRoyalty Management
We will drill down into each some other day in a white paper.
2) Additional security around Access & Authorization
3) You earn your money every day and every moment, so it is not a traditional sell once and forget till the next new producty is available. If you fail customers may not and will not renew the subscription. So you have to develop SaaS with some stickiness feature like creating a website with lowest bounce rate and higher CTR (click through rate). so that there is highest probability of customers renewing.
4) Special considerations for On Demand / Multi Tenacy of the product / solution.
5) Much higer emphasis on Disaster Recovery, Peak Load and High Availablity.
6) One size does not fit all, so how would you provide innovation in cloud? How to empower customers in cloud so that they can maintain their cuttting edge by intelligent customizations.
- Google Trends - find temporal trends in search word usage on the internet
- Google Insights for Search - estimate relative importance of search terms with trends by geographical regions
- Google Analytics - web analytics solution that gives insight into your website traffic and marketing effectiveness
- Quantcast - monitor website traffic and effectiveness of marketing communications to customers. This give Demographics info of Visitors. You can also use Microsoft AdCenterLabs to analyze demographics.
- Hitwise - ISP data, can be used to analyze how people get to, spend time in and depart from websites, large sample size
- Alexa - web traffic metrics based on voluntary anonymous tracking of people who have signed up for free, large sample size
- Comscore - web traffic metrics based on voluntary tracking of people who have signed up for a fee, gives much more detailed information but sample size is small
- CrazyEgg - Click density analysis, find out where people are clicking on your webpage (is your design driving people to the right place?)
Landmark achievement for my team - Cisco announced as overall winner for SOA implementation award by CIO magazine and SOA Consortium.
Cisco SOA Team Wins SOA Consortium / CIO Magazine Award
Cisco was recognized by industry experts for its SOA initiatives, platform and implementation successes.
The SOA Case Study Competition highlights business success stories and lessons learned to provide proof points and insights for other organizations considering or pursuing SOA adoption. The contest was open to organizations of all sizes, including government agencies that have successfully delivered business or mission value using an SOA approach.
Switched from Oracle BEA BPM Enterprise Version (on Weblogic) to the Standalone Version for Evaluation Purposes.
At end of last Tuesday I made a call to switch to Enterprise Standalone but the efforts put in were good learning and useful for Standalone Installation as well. So for the purpose of proceeding with evaluation going forward I have shifted to Enterprise Standalone Version as my focus is BPM.
Some learnings or observations .... On the Oracle website they refer to downloading Oracle BPM <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 />Enterprise Administration Guide.pdf but in real scenario there was no such file name. I realized that it was same as Oracle BPM Admin Guide.pdf and the same goes for configuration guide as well. So will not get confused in future :)
Ok so with the ultimate aim being to Deploying and Publishing a New BPM Project I had to go through a series of steps. (For standalone I needed a much smaller set but the practice and drill was worthwhile learning in terms of infrastructure and operationalization of product.
The whole list of steps:
- Creating Directory Service ( need to configure Directory Database Schema)
- Creating a Process Execution Engine ( need to configure a separate Execution Engine Database Schema)
- Configuring Weblogic Server
- Creating Weblogic Server Domain
- Create Oracle BPM Deploy User
- Installing Oracle BPM Deployer
- Creating JDBC Data Sources on BEA Weblogic Server
- Creating JMS Server, Module & Resources
- Configuring the Deployer and Deployment Targets
- Enabling Clustering
- Building and Deploying Application EAR Files
- Deploying and Publishing a New BPM Project
As of now I have Standalone Enterprise BEA BPM configured with Directory (Oracle 10g DB). Engine DB configuration has some issues due to privileges. Make sure you have a friendly DBA to help out.
I am trying to come up with a set of use cases to test out different features.
More next week as I try to put together a list of features .. dully prioritized that I will like to test out.
If you have a challenge for me ...Bring it ON :)
For the next one month I want to be critically evaluating Oracle BPM 10gR3.
Yes this is the new face and name of BEA Aqualogic BPM 6.5 , now with Oraclelization it is called as Oracle BPM 10gR3. Too early to make a comment.
My aim is to see how well Oracle has leveraged and integrated the BEA Aqua logic BPM products with its other products to offer a complete suite.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Getting started was easy .... Installed Oracle BPM Studio 10.3.0.0.0 from the link below. To get started
Please visit: http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/bpm/index.html
Here you will find download link – for initially getting your feet wet purposes, download of studio should suffice. Also, there is a tutorial and link to docs.
Installation was smooth, took around 60 Minutes. I referred to this site for the product documentation
One glitch ....
It took me 20 minutes to figure out why the "Launch Workspace" icon was disabled. Figured out that after designing the process I had unfortunately clicked on either "outline" or the "Log Pane" that exist below and clicking on those panes dynamical change the Menu and disable certain icons.
was the collaboartion, group study, projects, assignments and homeworks
for CMU MBA. The other side was my younger one growing up. That was
another MBA (Managing Baby Administration)
Things are finally getting easier as I am approaching the final year of
my MBA. This was a perfect time for me to learn about "Marketing
Management", "Financial Accounting", "Production & Operations
Management" , "Macroeconomics", "Corporate Finance" & "Marketing
Research". With the current ecomonic situation I feel that every day I
use my Business & Financial learnings to analyze situations.
Here is a recent picture from one of the CMU social networking events.
Program Overview: I have been fortunate that the CMU MBA program is offered at Cisco Campus apart from their West Coast campus ( CMU West - http://west.cmu.edu/ ) in the Moffet Field (you can see signs on 101 north near Moffet Field exit). This is very handy at times when I need to hop out of meetings and join the class within minutes of getting out of office. It is first time at Cisco but the program itself was started in 1996.
Part Time program has same admission/graduation criteria as it exists for Full/Part-time students in CMU Pittsburg Campus. More info at: http://www.tepper.cmu.edu
If you need more information please feel free to get in touch.
SOA on SOA !! - Bring the discipline of SOA to service development and creation in your organization.
SOA on SOA!!
It was difficult to put the most appropriate words to my thoughts but what I am trying to bring out is that SOA implementation should not burden the service providers and consumers to go through the burden of learning all the latest standards, tools & technologies.
They should just worry about their business logic and there should be a framework which transparently takes care of making that business logic a service as in SOA world while adhering to their company's enterprise policies, processes and standards.
How to enable this? Enterprise architects should closely watch two upcoming standards - SCA & JBI.
JBI is JSR 208 and called as Java Business Integration. SCA is Service component architecture.
JBI is used by system integrators during physical deployment (customers and end users do not see this). It helps in management & interoperability of your SOA infrastructure.
SCA has a design and composition perspective. It is used by developers to annotate or put notes in their code to describe service and their dependencies.
The aim is to create a virtual container for hosting services. This way services can be plugged into ESB or into an existing Policy Manager. It will be independent of language and will help as a framework for exposing business logic as service.
The other significant benefits I see are
- Consistent deployment & management
- Location Transperancy (Virtualization)
- Policy Enforcement
- Consistent Security Model
- SOA does not means every developer needs to know about WSDL or WS-* or other standards. They need to know the core business logic.
- It might possibly help in transaction coordination.
So let us try to use our own methodology SOA to help in implementation & adoption of SOA.
Here are suggestions that will help you. When making a Buy vs Build decision do the following:
- Consider only the costs that are affected by your decision (example you may or may not decide to buy additionaly 24X7 support)
- Include all Opportunity Costs (are you going to miss on some other core oppurtunity / project in your own industry)
- Ignore Sunk Costs, these are costs that have already been incurred (example can be hardware cost as either version of bought or in house build software will require similar hardware)Calculate total costs of each option. Total cost = fixed (avoidable) costs + variable (avoidable) costs
- Considering "Soft" or "Intangible" cost/benefits, for example future use of product or learning, team reputation or burden (in terms or learning or development), derivative products.
Other Important Hints/Viewpoints
- A very important consideration is to look at the Marginal cost i.e. the cost for deploying an additional host (cpu) with the same software.
- For coming up with oppurtunity cost - look at the nature of technology/product and its maturity level - analysis in the Short Run and in the Long Run
- Look at the service/product provider and its industry - will you be price taker or price chooser? How much can you negotiate? What are hidden benefits/costs of partnership?
- Evaluate options using the net present value (NPV) & internal rate of return (IRR) approach
- A little known fact is about the Basic Accounting ... Is it favourable for company's accounting? - This is very important as software bought is a depreciable asset for organization while software built will be treated as an ongoing expense without any balance sheet asset created out of it.