Re: Replace System01.dbf

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:50:02 -0800

G-Diddy wrote:
> Daniel A. Morgon of Washington you sure are one angry individual. I
> posed a question with an explicit situation and instead of trying to
> answer it you ask "are you sure of the situation?". The file is
> corrupt because Oracle has told me so. Perhaps you would like to ask
> if I am sure I read the words on my screen correctly? As far as "skunk
> perfume" goes, I never heard of such a product. Where would one buy
> such an item?

Not angry at all. I just have personal experience with people posting questions that didn't provide sufficient information or that made invalid assumptions, received advise based on their post and then totally destroyed an otherwise recoverable production database.

In my opinion you provided inadequate information for anyone to feel comfortable that you (1) diagnosed the problem correctly and (2) could implement a proposed solution.

The only one that should be angry is the owners of the company who spent a lot of money on Oracle software and turned it over to an IT team that didn't perform at a level of minimum attention to detail.

And I can say this because had your team done so you'd have used RMAN to make appropriate backups and would have never asked the original question.

Don't blame the messenger for your mess.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org