Re: Replace System01.dbf

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2006 15:27:17 -0800

G-Diddy wrote:
> Daniel Morgan, I really love people like you. The answer to my own
> question is NO. It does not matter about the version, or how the DBF
> file is corrupt. If you do not have the archive log files to recover
> this, you will not be able to repair it by hand.
>
> It is bad form to ask for more information when it is not neccesary.

See http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm#subj12

There are version differences, and different types of corruption that may indeed be recovereable. If you are on an MS OS, the problem... well, your problem is obvious.

So yes, it does make a difference as to whether people can help you if you state the exact error message, as well as all the other normally requested information.

There is a lot more in the system.dbf than table structures. In fact, given a poorly managed system, there might be stuff in there that shouldn't be in there.

It's really basic administration that you don't have a backup strategy unless you've tested restoration.

As far as official Oracle support costing money. Well, yeah. Your situation is a prime example of why one would have it. Besides that, it is very valuable to be able to look at all the information you can see when you have support, beyond being able to call. Training costs money too. I've seen users lose MS-SQL databases because they don't get how that backup works, either.

Oracle can fix your db - but that would likely be very expensive. People here might be able to help you. Or might not. There's only a chance if you want to try.

> DA Morgan wrote:
> > Oracle version number?
> > In what way is the data file corrupt?
> > How do you know this?
> >
> > It is bad form to suggest an unknown problem on an unknown version
> > of a product.
> >
> > The fact that you didn't feel this information was important makes
> > me wonder whether possibly you should look for a consultant to
> > help you.
> > --
> > Daniel A. Morgan
> > http://www.psoug.org