Re: external table

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2006 07:41:32 -0800

>> Can we replace null values with banks in the external table instead of spaces? <<

Do you want FDIC insurance with that? 8-D

I think you mean blanks in which case, what is the difference between blanks and spaces? The answer is none. The words are synonyms.

If you want to insert NULLs then you do not have to do anything special in sqlldr. The columns which correspond to the missing data will be inserted without data in these columns: data1,data2,,data4 <== data col3 has no data and will be NULL

I am not sure what it is you are really trying to ask. Do you have char columns in a table with spaces for data that you want to compare to the external table data? Using varchar2 instead would get rid of this problem or you can use some of the available functions like NVL, COALESCE, NULLIF, ... to perform the comparison.

If the above does not point you in the right direction then post some sample data, the external table definition, and anything else necessary to allow someone to see and demonstrate what you are trying to do.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Mar 29 2006 - 09:41:32 CST