Re: Article about Oracle10.2 and FC5 on ORACLE-BASE is misleading

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 04:54:02 GMT

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 03:55:26 +0000, Bob Jones wrote:

> While your compaints are legit, Red Hat should not be the one to blame.
> After all it is not their web site. Any time you want to experiment with
> unsupported combinations, you are at your own risk, unfortunately.

Well, it was a tacit understanding that things will work with some hacking, if needed. I successfully installed various versions of Oracle on FC2,FC3 & FC4. I expected it to continue with FC5, especially after that misleading article. This is the first version completely and utterly incompatible with Oracle (I never touched FC1, so I don't know about that). Red Hat also deserves a full share of blame for idiotic things like this:

[root_at_medo ~]# newaliases
hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/aliases.db: Permission denied WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/aliases Cannot create database for alias file /etc/aliases [root_at_medo ~]# whoami
root
[root_at_medo ~]#

Of course, makemap no longer works, as it says in the manual:

       Notice:  do  not  use  makemap to create the aliases data base, because
       newaliases puts a special token into the data base that is required  by
       sendmail.

FILES
       /etc/aliases        The mail aliases file

So, may annoyance with FC5 is multi-pronged. Also, WEP module doesn't work with orinoco_plx. The card works, it gets the IP address from the DHCP server and stops working. When I remove WEP, the card magically starts working. (Of course I have MAC filtering, too).

All things considered, FC5 is a very, very disappointing version. The new compiler breaks linux-wlan, NVIDIA driver needs heavy patching and pre-stable kernel, while OSS sound software cannot be installed. Do they test the software or they just let us test it? Well, they just lost one "tester".

--
http://www.mgogala.com