Re: make: Fatal error in reader: Badly formed macro assignment

From: Paul D. Smith <psmith_at_gnu.org>
Date: 23 Mar 2006 01:54:02 -0500

%% Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov-nsp_at_charter.net> writes:

>> # This makefile builds the Parser program
>> export ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle_9.2.0/precomp/lib

  pp> My guess is that line above is line 26. It is using "ksh" syntax,   pp> not Makefile syntax. Remove the 'export', it doesn't belong here.

Actually, that's legal in GNU make, and does just what you'd expect.

I suspect the OP is using Sun's version of make, but this makefile contains GNU make-specific extensions and so doesn't work with Sun make.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith_at_gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at: