Re: Character set

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2006 14:21:43 -0800

I've posted before about the US mil site that emphatically stated they will only use USASCII, only to start servicing NATO things... and I've seen a couple of other similar things. In the V7 days, it could be a major problem if it happened, and it didn't happen much because some people got burned by it and learned, and others just would use the correct set from the get-go. I personally saw it about every other year, but have no idea if that is representative. Nowadays it is much less of a big deal, but we still see posts here every few months about exp/imp being "overly helpful" with characterset conversions, and people not realizing some tools can still silently insert eight-bit characters into seven-bit databases. I think if you google this group for NLS you will see some examples.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://sblom.com/mailbox/