Re: high availability

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:13:25 GMT

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:52:20 +0100, maxim2k wrote:

> On 3/18/06 12:04 AM, HansF wrote:

>> RAC is not meaningful with STandard Edition One which is limited to a
>> single machine with one or two CPU (and capable of no more than 2 CPU).

> But I found an old article mentioning to Oracle including free RAC for
> purchases of Standard Edition One:
>
> <http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid41_gci948364,00.html>
> ---
> In addition, Oracle is offering its Real Application Clusters (RAC) free
> to those who purchase 10g Standard Edition One.
> ---
>
> Did they get it wrong?

If you look at the licensing document (in docs.oracle.com - for 10gR2 it's http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/editions.htm#sthref10) you will note that RAC is not discussed for SE1, and is discussed for SE.

Specifically, in Chapter 2, it states:

"
 All the Oracle Database options can be purchased with Oracle Database  Enterprise Edition. Real Application Clusters is included with Oracle  Database Standard Edition. You cannot purchase any options with Oracle  Database Standard Edition One. The Personal Edition includes all options  except Real Application Clusters at no additional cost. "

Besides, even if it was available free with SE1, SE1 is restricted to 1 machine with 1 or 2 CPU.

Draw your own conclusion.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com