Re: how to find unused table /columns in a database

From: William Robertson <william.robertson_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 20 Mar 2006 07:21:29 -0800

Herod wrote:
> DO NOT DO IT YOU WILL GET FIRED, TERMINATED, SACKED, CANNED, REMOVED
> FROM EMPLOYMENT,
>
> You will be become the "You won't BELIEVE what the guy you replaced
> did" comment for everybody that is interviewed for your job.
>
> You will appear on http://oracle-wtf.blogspot.com/
> <snip>

If you rename a table that doesn't appear to be in use (using a test database) modules that use it will give runtime errors, which you could then investigate further. Perhaps you could automate a test compilation of all modules and see what errors appear. Then it's pretty easy to rename the table back to what it was if it turns out you do need it.

I'm not a Forms 6i expert, but aren't there any dependecy checker tools out there for Forms? (A quick Google search found OraDep from http://www.samtrest.com, though no links about anyone who has tried it.) Could you at least automate a text search of the source code? That won't be too reliable but it's a start. Received on Mon Mar 20 2006 - 09:21:29 CST