Re: high availability

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:41:17 -0500

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:47:32 +0100, maxim2k <maxim2k_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I use Oracle Database since version 8i, but I'm new to high
>availability, please excuse my basic questions. :-)
>
>I've the following hardware (and I can upgrade it if it's not enough):
>
>Two Dell PowerEdge 1850 servers
> two Intel XEON EM64T 3Ghz (or more) with 2MB of cache
> 4GB (or more) of RAM
> two (or more) Gigabit Ethernet NICs
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4 (x86 or x86_64)
>
>iSCSI-based SAN
> EqualLogic iSCSI-based storage array PS100E [1]
> Dell Gigabit Ethernet switches
>
>I'd like to implement an HA solution for my new Oracle Database to
>prevent long downtimes if one of the servers fails, etc.
>
>I'd like to use Oracle Database 10g R2 on Linux x86 or x86_64.
>I'd prefer Standard Edition over Enterprise Edition to save some money,
>but I'm not sure what HA options SE provides (if any at all).

I believe RAC only comes with either Enterprise + RAC license, OR with Oracle One license, which is limited to 2CPUs (or 2 dual core CPUs.. maybe)

Alternatively you can use Veritas Cluster, it won't give you 100% uptime, but the failovers are very quick (i recently failed over 8 databases in under 3 mins). With Veritas you also get vsfs and odm.. or you can stick to Oracle's file mgt.

You might want to give this a read:
http://www.miracleas.dk/WritingsFromMogens/YouProbablyDontNeedRACUSVersion.pdf

Everyone jumps on the RAC bandwagon lately, but it not really for everyone :)

-Andrey
We run Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RH4 AMD
remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri Mar 17 2006 - 15:41:17 CST