Problem with LONG datatypes

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2006 16:41:14 -0800

Hi...

I have a task that requires me to rename a column. Problem is, I'm on 8i, which does not support column-level renaming.

So the next recourse would be to create another column in the table, or another table entirely, with the column named correctly, and insert the rows/values as required.

Problem is, this column is of LONG RAW datatype. These have been a PITA for as long as I've known of their existence.

I have researched my options, and one suggestion is to use the COPY command from within SQLPlus. I have tested this, and it works, but only across databases.

The problem I have with COPY is that it (as far as I can see) will only create the new copied column with the same name as the original.

So what if I want to create this new LONG RAW column with a different name?

I have _seen_ it done with a cursor, but am not so confident in my PL/SQL as to say I could do it easily.

If COPY had a way I could assign a new name to the new column, I would be as good as done.

Anyone out there have any other strategies for dealing with LONG RAWs?

Thanks,

BD Received on Wed Mar 15 2006 - 18:41:14 CST