Re: Oracle 9i TNS Listener service

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Mar 2006 18:37:58 -0800

Matthew wrote:
> I have recently installed Oracle 9i server on a Windows 2003 Server machine,
> but have had great difficulty in getting the TNS Listener to run as a
> service.
>
> Despite verifying in the Oracle Installer that the TNS Listener is indeed
> installed, and copying the listener configuration from another Oracle 9i
> server on which the listener is working correctly into the listener
> configuration on the new server using Net Manager, the listener refuses to
> start as a service (it is not even listed in the Services console), even
> after multiple reboots. I had earlier run into this problem when I
> installed Oracle 9i server on a Windows XP machine, where I managed to get
> the listener to work by launching it separately (as a process after logging
> in, rather than automatically as a service), but after a while Oracle became
> unstable. I'd rather have the listener installed as a service, but am not
> sure what else I need to do to get this to happen.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?

Certainly. My guess is you're trying to use 9.0.1 on Windows 2003; it isn't certified for that operating system, hence your problems. Move up to at least 9.2 or any release of 10g. 9.0.1 was certified for XP Professional, however I'll guess you installed it on XP Home instead, yet another combination which is not certified by Oracle.

All of this is conjecture, of course, as you've provided no solid information to base a usable response upon. Provide the Oracle release (all four numbers), not this ambiguous '9i' you've already supplied. When that information is available better answers may be forthcoming.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Mar 14 2006 - 20:37:58 CST