Re: QUESTION: Latest CPU thinks I have a db running

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2006 17:19:49 -0800

Follow-up:

I found a metalink note outlining what the patch process does. The following code appears to only check for the existence of an init.ora file in the /dbs directory of the home being patched.

I like the note that there's "no foolproof way to determine this"

In my installation, the init files for each db are held in a db-specific admin directory, and we use symlinks in the dbs directories instead of the actual files.

So perhaps this 'error' can be ignored?

check_instance(){
#================================================================
#Verify that no database is running, this is ok for pre 8i, however
#at 8i and after there is no fool proof way to determine this with
#100% confidence...
#

if $SHUTDOWN; then
  SIDLIST=/tmp/$$
  ps -ef | grep smon | grep -v grep | cut -d_ -f3 > $SIDLIST   for sid in `cat $SIDLIST`
  do
    if [ -f $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init$sid.ora ]; then

      echo "Seems that some databases in $ORACLE_HOME are active"
      echo "Patch installation aborted"
      echo "Found instance: $sid open"
      rm $SIDLIST
      exit 1