Import + Sequences

From: Ed_Zep <ed_zep_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2006 06:37:04 -0800

Hi,

We're on Solaris 9.2.0.6 and want to migrate our system to Red Hat Linux 3.0.

The method I used successfully several times before was this:

  1. Full SYS export of everything.
  2. Full import, no rows, no indexes, no constraints, disabled triggers
  3. Full import, rows, no indexes, constraints.
  4. Full import, no rows, indexes, constraints (ok, did those twice)

I then re-enable the triggers. There were users on the system, via the web.

I kick the users off and start the export.

Everything seems fine. Except when testing happens, one of the sequences seems to
be out of sync and get unique constraint errors when the user tries to input new information (the sequence number already exists in the table).

Could it be that one of those users "grabbed" an incremented sequence that wasn't written to a table?

Is there a way around this?

Many thanks,

Ed. Received on Tue Mar 14 2006 - 08:37:04 CST