10g License Issue - Development Vs Production License - Enterprise Edition

From: <rospai_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2006 02:55:19 -0800

I want to install 'Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Solaris Operating System (SPARC) (64-bit)' (Enterprise edition) in the development environment.

The Oracle website says:
"All software downloads are free, and each comes with a development license that allows you to use full versions of the products only while developing and prototyping your applications. You can buy Oracle products with full-use licenses at any time from the online Oracle Store or from your Oracle sales representative."

I want to install the database on the development servers. (And purchase the production license later on, when we install the database on production)

My queries are as follows:
1. Does the development license prevent us from utilizing all the features of Oracle (Eg installing on servers with multiple CPU, testing the database at near production level capacity etc). 2. As far as the functionality is concerned, what is the difference in running the 10g enterprise edition on a development and a production license. Are there features that are disabled in the development license.

I have spent a lot of time searching the net, trying to figure out, if the development license is any different. Have not been lucky though. The more I read, the more confusing it gets.

Cheers
Pai Received on Tue Mar 14 2006 - 04:55:19 CST