Re: Backup Tool Alternative to RMAN and BMC's SQL Backtrack

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:46:25 -0500

If you were afraid by the "backed up are not consistent, and in one sense of the word, are corrupted." part, you need to read some more on recovery before you can sleep again at night.

Don't think RMAN backups are any less inconsistent. But RMAN knows how to make your datafiles consistent again after a restore. And you should know, too:
Just apply the required archived redo logs.

It's true that Oracle RMAN is not a complete solution to backups, if you want to backup to tape.
You need to buy something (Tivoli or else) in between the tape and Oracle to make the link (unless you accept to do a disk backup first then move it to tape later). And depending on your infrastructure that may be (very) expensive.

RMAN is a good tool and should be used whenever possible.

--
Syltrem

http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)