Re: Backup Tool Alternative to RMAN and BMC's SQL Backtrack

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:39:30 +0100

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:05:18 GMT, "Charles J. Fisher" <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org> wrote:

>I admin nothing by Oracle 7 and 8 databases, and I wouldn't touch RMAN
>with a 10' pole. This habit will die hard, IF and WHEN I ever upgrade.
>
>RMAN demands WAY TOO MUCH infrastructure to be in place to get a
>successful recovery.

*Which* infrastructure? You mean *NO* Infrastructure?

>O7-style backups are necessary in many areas - adding a datafile to the
>standby, for instance.

Adding a datafile to a standby database can be handled by setting up a proper standby database, not some home-grown toy

I would be suspicious of any DBA that relied on
>RMAN too much and was uncomfortable with ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN BACKUP.

I would be suspicious of any DBA who still, after more than 4 years of RMAN being operational, rejects RMAN as a viable backup solution, as you do.
I have seen third party backup sw bringing *ALL* tablespaces in hot backup. Oracle advises against this for good reasons. I assume you rather want to continue with this type of software? Your company is really lucky when they discover you can't restore your backup.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA