Re: Backup Tool Alternative to RMAN and BMC's SQL Backtrack

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:05:18 GMT

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, DA Morgan wrote:

> I agree completely. Quite frankly any DBA that can not or does not use
> RMAN should be viewed with suspicion in an interview and personally I
> wouldn't hire them. With 10g there is no tool that is its equal.

I admin nothing by Oracle 7 and 8 databases, and I wouldn't touch RMAN with a 10' pole. This habit will die hard, IF and WHEN I ever upgrade.

RMAN demands WAY TOO MUCH infrastructure to be in place to get a successful recovery.

O7-style backups are necessary in many areas - adding a datafile to the standby, for instance. I would be suspicious of any DBA that relied on RMAN too much and was uncomfortable with ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN BACKUP.

p.s. I do agree that SQLBacktrack is cruft, but I've only seen ancient

     versions. Perhaps it is slightly less crufty now.

  |   Boo, Forever                                                            |
  |   Spinning like a ghost on the bottom of a top,                           |
  |   I'm haunted by all the space that I will live                           |
  |     without you.                                                          |
  |      -Richard Brautigan.                                                  |
 / Charles J. Fisher | cfisher@rhadmin.org | http://rhadmin.org /