Raid Stripe Size.....

From: oracle _ man_at_yahoo.com <man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2005 12:46:23 -0800

All,

I'm gonna lay out a new 10G db on RHEL4/AMD64. I have(for data files only) two ICP Vortex Raid controllers. Each controller is dual channel. Each channel has 8 Drives. We will hardware mirror channel to channel on each controller. Then stripe using 128 chunks per drive across 7 drives, leaving the 8th for hot spare. This 7x128K = ~917,504byte stripe size. Oracle recomends 1MB stripe, so we are close. This is all hardware level. Now then, we have to build an RHEL4 OS on these two arrays.

My questions remaining are:
1) Should I make one big logical volume across controllers?

2) What OS block size do I use, and how do I change it.

3) And lastly, if using 8K oracle block_Size, what db_file_multiblock_read should I use for the above hardware config?

Best regards,

Rich Received on Mon Feb 28 2005 - 14:46:23 CST