Oracle Object Types and Java (migrating from mod_plsql)

From: Thanatos <thanatic_at_telstra.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2005 20:02:24 -0800

Here's a concept, let me know if you like or hate the idea.

Current Application (Single Tier)

PL/SQL stored procedures generating 50 million pages a month via mod_plsql (htp.p etc)

Main problem: scalability

Proposed Architecture (2 tier)

Re-write stored procedures as Oracle Object Types. Create Java access classes to these objects (via Jpublisher for example.)

Create .jsp application to use the Oracle Objects via the access classes.

Benefits:
not rewiting everything in Java
application tier is scalable

Why not 3 tier? Well this stlye of article has largly convinced me: http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:6587047937357685137::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:883929178230

Whilst the above idea seems to be a stab in the dark, it does try to address the following problem:

How do I scale a large scale pl/sql mod_plsql application without having to rewrite the entire application (without purchasing additional oracle licencees - or indeed without purchasing OracleAS)

Tricky question nay? Received on Thu Feb 17 2005 - 22:02:24 CST