Re: Oracle Object Types and Java (migrating from mod_plsql)

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2005 06:56:10 -0800

In article <1108699344.034022.321980_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, Thanatos says...

>Here's a concept, let me know if you like or hate the idea.
>
>Current Application (Single Tier)
>--------------------------------
>PL/SQL stored procedures generating 50 million pages a month via
>mod_plsql (htp.p etc)
>
>Main problem: scalability

ahh, but what isn't scaling out?

is it "we cannot run anymore sql", well, moving to java isn't going to make the sql run any faster (in fact, my experience is the opposite is true, the java programmers tend not to write the best sql, the database needs become larger then when we had database programmers in there).

have you identified what isn't "scaling" about your situation? before you propose a fix, you need to identify exactly what is "broken"

You are already 3 tier, you have a client (browser), a web server (apache), and a database spitting out data.

>Proposed Architecture (2 tier)
>------------------------------
>Re-write stored procedures as Oracle Object Types.

that doesn't make sense -- what do you mean by "rewrite stored procedures as object types"?

>Create Java access classes to these objects (via Jpublisher for
>example.)
>
>Create .jsp application to use the Oracle Objects via the access
>classes.
>
>Benefits:
>not rewiting everything in Java
>application tier is scalable
>
>Why not 3 tier? Well this stlye of article has largly convinced me:
>http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:6587047937357685137::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:883929178230

but you are 3 tier - in both cases above, you are decidely 3 tier.

--
Thomas Kyte
Oracle Public Sector