Re: RAC vs. J2EE

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:55:52 GMT

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:32:12 -0800, Noons wrote:

> GreyBeard wrote:
>

>> However, as I've quoted several times, in Tate & Gehtland's "Better,
>> Faster, Lighter Java" (O'Reilly - 0-596-00676-4) I particularily like

> the
>> following:

> Interesting. Will look that one up next time on
> the book shop. Thanks.

Fair warning - while it says J2EE is too heavy for most applications (and Entity EJBs are good for nothing) it does advocate 'yet another method'.

Fortunately that method is considerably lighter and more versatile - you can actually maintain apps written in it and even implement customer changes. Unfortunately it still does not ack that a database can be used as something more than a bit bucket.

Still: it makes excellent sense; Tate is (was?) a respected Java author and consultant; it discusses the Java bloat intelligently; and it does explain, in terms even management can understand, that many J2EE apps are unmaintainable.

<opinion>
I believe there are only a small handful of true J2EE pros out there (one from BEA frequenting our newsgroup). The rest have read the pattern books and are busy using those patterns.

Sadly, most don't understand databases and apparently the majority of those few who do are paid to be 'database neutral', thereby duplicating in the middle tier what the database does most naturally.

Funny how 'patterns' invokes images of 'sewing circle', 'quilting bees', and 'doilies'.
<\opinion>

lol/FGB Received on Thu Feb 17 2005 - 21:55:52 CST