Re: moving from Sun to Windows

From: Jining Han <jining.han_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2005 14:38:57 -0800

You are correct: OCFS is the only option from Oracle. But 2 things: 1) you'll need extended paritions, not primary partitions, for OCFS, and 2) I have not been successful formatting an OCFS drive mounted on an NTFS volume. I'd really love to hear from someone who has actually done it.

When I say 20 drive letters, I mean certain ones out of the 26 I can't use for Oracle data files because A: B: C: D: E: have been used by other local devices (you probably know what they are already). Then you just can't use all of the rest because of other expected needs (be aware that OCFS is not dynamically expandable). Even if you can use all 26 drives, that's still only 26. It's probably OK for department databases in MB sizes, but when one has go to GB or TB, it's just like those poor dolphins in a small tank.

I am unwilling to disclose which 3rd-party vendor we are looking at, but you can check out NetApp, Veritas, PolyServ and see how each fits into Oracle RAC.

Thanks
Jining Han Received on Mon Feb 07 2005 - 16:38:57 CST