Re: moving from Sun to Windows

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2005 21:38:11 -0800

26 drive letter limitation is a headache (Why do you say 20, even excluding A-C?). But you may consider mounting a drive to an empty NTFS folder using Disk Manager (diskmgmt.msc). I think that's equivalent to using junction points as described at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;205524 What third-party filesystem are you considering and what advantage does it have?

Terminal service client (C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdtc.exe) comes with Windows so it should be free. Telnet server is available too, even back in NT 4 days (back then it was in Resource Kit only). But due to the GUI nature of Windows, it's not as useful as telnet to UNIX.

Not considering support staff's skill set, Windows scripting is best done with VBScript unless the rudimentary batch files serve the purpose. If you have specific problems using any UNIX emulation tools to control Oracle, I'd love to hear. (I know some that can't be resolved.)

Yong Huang
yong321ATyahoo.com Received on Sat Feb 05 2005 - 23:38:11 CST