Re: moving from Sun to Windows

From: Jining Han <jining.han_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2005 14:34:56 -0800

We have moved some smaller 9i databases from HP Keystone to Windows 2003 RAC and in general I don't like the experience. The biggest problem I am having now is the limit of drive letters. Using driver letter is bad enough, and having only 20 drive letters drive me crazy!

So we are looking at spending money on some 3rd party file systems that allow us to mount multiple volumes under one directory, just like in Unix. You want to buget this in before making the decision.

Then there are scripts. I made our NT admin install MS Unix service on the boxes, and that's still a pain. I really hate the fact that I can't do much scripting.

Because the whole point of going to Windows is to save money, we tried to put as many database/applications into the RAC as we can. That's when you miss telnet. We didn't want to spend money on Terminal Service Client, and the DBAs are having a very hard time with the lack of concurrent logins. So we are going to buy more of that, and that's money, too.

I just wish MS kept their business to the desktop

Jining Han Received on Fri Feb 04 2005 - 16:34:56 CST