Re: DDL/DML and rollback

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 07 Feb 2005 22:25:26 GMT

premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> I have always been suprised why Oracle does not allow rollback of ddl
> commands using
> rollback statement. I have recently been learning SQL Server and if I
> am not mistaken
> it does let you rollback DDL's.

My understanding is that many of the things done in the data dictionary are truly serial. If a user could just leave processes holding locks in the data dictionary for as long as they wanted, neither commiting nor rolling back, then the database would start coughing up blood right quickly.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB