Re: Temp tables and redo log/archive mode

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:18:40 +0100

Tom Miskiewicz wrote:
> Holger,
>

>>And your version is?

> 9.x
>

>>External tables might be an option for you: no need to load the data
>>at all and no redolog generation either.

> Sounds great! Where do I find more info about external tables?
>

> Tom

It's called the documentation ;-) (tahiti.oracle.com, select your version, list of books, Utilities Part III External Tables, the administrators guide chapter 15 contains some examples, too). For working examples you might want to google around a bit, or check directly what you can find on asktom.oracle.com.

 > What do you mean by "no need to load"?

With external tables you can treat any file that you can load with sqlldr as a read only table. You can select from it but that's it.

HTH
Holger Received on Tue Feb 01 2005 - 07:18:40 CST