Re: JVM in the database

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 17:13:25 -0500

Hi Tim!

I'm a great fan of your blog and I frequently use it as a cheat sheet. However, I am not quite clear why would one need to list files and directories from within a database instance? Furthermore, I am not a big fan of "developing" languages like Java or Python. Around 80% of the code I wrote for Perl4, the one that needed linking  "oraperl" to work with Oracle, is still functional. There are opinions that OOP are a big flop and a waste of computer resources. I am not sure that I agree, but the most of the "development" in language technology is just cosmetics. The world isn't moving ahead, it's only getting more polished are more expensive. The basics of the operating systems are just like Tannenbaum described them in the "Modern Operating Systems". Processors work much the same way as did 6502 and Z-80, only faster. Instead of IMS, CICS and Tuxedo we now have application servers which use much the same XA and X/Open technology. I am talking about Weblogic, Webshere, JBoss, Tomcat and alike. Cloud is just working on somebody else's computer. If you read "The Cuckoo's Egg" by Cliff Stoll, a book from the late 80's about catching a hacker from the former East Germany, you will see that people were renting computer time and resources even then, only they haven't had a web interface. As a matter of fact, a COBOL/RPG programmer from the mid 80's would easily recognize the IT world today and if retrained to use Java/JBoss or Java/Tomcat instead, there would be no shortage of work for him. Skills are much the same, the only things that he would miss would be snake and Pacman.  The demise of snake and Pacman is not much of the "world going ahead" if you ask me. I also miss the USR 9600 modem dialing sound. As a matter of fact, I have it as my ring tone on my cell phone. Here it is, for those who have never heard it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant