Re: From ORACLE-L to DATABASE-L?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 15:57:40 +0000

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> >> So, of course, I ask *Oracle* people about it. :)
>

> There is a vibrant technical community in SQL Server and it is long past
> time that these communities cross-pollinated better.
>
> As this thread shows, it isn't that one or the other DBMS is better, but
> they can be different in subtle ways which can trip up even the most
> experienced of us.
>
> And, as this thread shows, many of us are tasked with administering both
> DBMS packages, in addition to PostgreSQL and MySQL.

I agree with all of the above. I disagree with the suggestion though.

Firstly ORACLE-L has, currently, a high signal-noise ratio. A *very* high signal-noise ratio. I strongly suspect the widening of scope to other RDBMS systems (I assume that is what Tim intended rather than DBMS) would reduce this. Where there is more than 1 way of doing things, techies tend to be especially protective of the way *they* do it. The introduction of subtly(and not so subtly) different engines would *inevitably* introduce the mines better than yours type of discussion.

Secondly, email discussion lists are not really where *most* of the current generation look for valuable information. vendor forums, stack overflow, twitter and youtube fill that role. I *love* ORACLE-L but I'm not kidding myself that it's where hearts and minds are won. The general forums such as stack are pretty much where its at. They also naturally lend themselves to "in Oracle I'd do X - how do I achieve that in MongoDB" type discussions.

So I'd worry that we'd reduce quality and not add effectively to the audience. Better to engage where people actually are!