Re: corrupt blocks WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 00:54:49 +0000

I hads a primary database server crash one time and an index having to do with clustered tables was clobbered such that the index and the table were in disagreement. I was told by Oracle support that the index couldn't be rebuilt as it was a "bootstrap" object which I took to mean anything built by calling sql.bsq; i.e, the data dictionary. The physical standby was in good shape, I cannot remember if we switched over of failed over.

The old primary was fine except when the indexed was called.

Ian A. MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
Computing Division
To offer the best IT service at the lab and be the IT provider of choice.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:25:45 AM To: Howard Latham
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: corrupt blocks WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

What is the name of the object?

I wouldn't accept Oracle's "fix" either way. If it's an index, regardless of what index it is, it can be dropped and re-created to rid of the corrupt blocks.

Smells like they're looking for the "easy way out" here.

Stefan

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 7:09 PM, Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com<mailto:howard.latham_at_gmail.com>> wrote: RH EL 5
Oracle 11.2.0.4

I have corrupt blocks in the sysman ts. Oracle tell me to rebuild my database. Its 1/2 TB and I don't really want the downtime. Its in a MGMT Flow index which I don't think we use anyway and the index is disabled. I don't have an RMAN backup old enough to repair. What would you do?

I do have two plans

Turn on flashback and try dropping and recreating the objects.

Its an IOT so cant be rebuilt online.

Other plan - Ignore it. Does it matter?

I seem to recall many years ago being told by Oracle to rebuild the AUD$ table index which had corrupted and caused logins to fail.

Best Wishes

Howard A. Latham

--

//