AW: DBA Job Functions

From: Noveljic Nenad <nenad.noveljic_at_vontobel.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 21:43:03 +0000

I'm so glad to have both options to choose from and I really think both of them have their strengths.

With regard to the granularity of diagnostic information, SQL trace is indeed beyond compare to any other software I've ever seen. What I mean by that is it leaves the information about every single database and system call (i.e. wait event) performed within a traced session.

On the other hand, ASH is great for correlating events like latch and mutex waits across the database, especially if used in combination with Tanel Poder's Snapper. Besides that, there is no trace left for unexpected issues, so ASH might be the only source of information available in such case.

Nenad

http://nenadnoveljic.com/blog/

Von: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com<mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>> Datum Dienstag, 06. März 2018, 11:23 PM
An: oracle-l_at_freelists.org <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Betreff: Re: DBA Job Functions

Paperwork for trace? What kind of paperwork? Top secret SQL_Trace clearance? License to trace, only for DBA personnel with double zero codes? I'd like my Mountain Dew shaken, not stirred. I don't know about you, but I usually did my tracing on development and UAT systems, and no paperwork was required. When you have a problem with application performance, you profile it and trace it, to see where the time is spent. That's simply the method applicable across the IT industry. Plus, you don't need license for diagnostic and tuning packs, which is required for ASH.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses E-Mail drucken.

<head>
</head>