Re: DG for nologging

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 19:35:04 -0500

Well, any CDR ("Continuous Disk Replication") solution will do the trick. Every major SAN manufacturer has a solution like that:

https://www.emc.com/storage/recoverpoint/recoverpoint.htm

https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/products/data-protection/remote-replication.html

https://www.netapp.com/us/products/backup-recovery/metrocluster-bcdr.aspx

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/STXKQY_5.0.0/com.ibm.spectrum.scale.v5r00.doc/bl1adv_dr.htm

There is even an open source solution, which allegedly works. I have never seen it implemented it, though. I think that the whole project would cost much less if you simply opt for one of the major SAN vendors and let their consultants do the work and ensure that you have the proper performance. Open source solution is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_Replicated_Block_Device

Personally, I would recommend Hitachi or NetApp. I've seen their stuff work at several large client sites and it is working flawlessly.  Such solutions are a hardware version of Data Guard, only without DG limitations. Essentially, you don't care whether transactions are logged or not. You are replicating disks, not logs.

On 03/06/2018 08:52 AM, Nagaraj chk wrote:
> We will not be able to make database force logging (due to various
> reason), in that case do we have any other solution apart from DG or OGG.
>

> -Naga
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 5:41 PM, Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk
> <mailto:oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> Hi Naga,
>
> Unless I misunderstand, then simply run this:
>
> Alter database force logging;
>
> You can do this at any time.
>
> It is one of the pre-requisites for setting up DG/Standby
> databases anyway. Once done, you can proceed to build the standby
> in the normal manner. Rman is good for that.
>
> HTH
>
> Cheers.
> Norm.
>

> On 6 March 2018 11:20:00 GMT+00:00, Nagaraj chk
> <nagaraj.chk_at_gmail.com <mailto:nagaraj.chk_at_gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> hi Gurus,
>

> We have a database which is in TB of size with no logging
> option enabled , we have requirement to setup DR to ensure the
> data is protected on any disaster , Since the database in
> nologging mode we will not be able to setup DataGuard or OGG.
> In this situation please guide on any feasible solutions
>

> -Naga

Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant
Tel: (347) 321-1217