RE: Enterprise Manager warns of blocking on LGWR

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 16:18:57 -0500

There is no sensible way to bypass LGWR.

LGWR writes redo buffer to the online logs (and to standby logs in some modes). Even if you don't archive your logs, an instance restart requires the online logs to clean up on deferred DBWR work recorded in the logs so that DBWR work is not the pacing activity.

There are a few avenues of research to discover why LGWR might be identified as blocking.

  1. You could be wrapping logs with ARCH taking a long time to complete and make a log available to write in. A quick way to see if this is in the running is to look at your log history and see whether switches and last write times on logs correspond with the reported blocks.

I'd check that one first. IF it is add to the number of log groups in rotation (the default is tiny, I like 10 by pure preference unless I can prove I need more) and possibly increase the size of each log.

In the old days some folks used to stash members of the online log groups in any nook or cranny they could find, and hilarity would ensue on multipurpose servers or disk farms when some batch process consumed near 100% of the i/o capability of the device that hosted some part of the online redo log. On slow devices, ARCH running could compete sufficiently with LGWR on a single device to slow LGWR down.

mwf