Re: Another License Review

From: Ivan Ricardo Schuster <ivanrs79_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 17:16:06 +0000

The fact that Oracle is reviewing licenses is fair, they are simply charging the licenses that are really being used. The biggest issue in Oracle LMS world in my opinion is the way they changed the rules, such as the one with "Other" cloud vendors in the beginning of this year (Tim Hall commented here:
https://oracle-base.com/blog/2017/01/28/oracles-cloud-licensing-change-be-warned), or the fact that they don't recognise soft partitioning (VMWare). At least nowadays companies have several reliable options to choose. There are some very similar to Oracle, such as Tibero DB, that offers even a RAC like, Active Dataguard, partitioning, etc. And if you want to invest some more time and money, there are plenty of open source solutions as well, such as Postgres and MySQL.
Big Data-like databases (or NoSQL databases?), such as MongoDB are not RDBMS, so it is not an easy option to migrate.