Re: [Oracle] making sense of sar

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 10:11:37 -0700

Thank you Juan, I am familiar with Ksar, and have used it numerous times.

There are some limitations with Ksar that I sought to work around

First and foremost, Ksar does not work with all commonly available sar formats.
We have RedHat 5,6 and 7, along with the obvious variants such as CentOS, etc.

Let's not forget Ubuntu, it is everywhere.

But wait, there's more!

Suppose I am looking at 20 disks that all make up a single Disk Group in Oracle ASM, and I want to aggregate the metrics together by timestamp?

Ksar cannot do that, at least not that I am aware of.

But, what about the ASM metrics that Oracle keeps for this? Those are pretty much useless as stored in the database. See https://github.com/jkstill/asm-metrics for that

Here's what I like to have

  • raw data.
  • utilities to slice and dice the data
  • a utility to automatically create Excel with Charts from the command line.

And that is what the blog is about.

Excel is easily shared with nearly everyone, and is quite capable. So is Google Sheets, but I have not learned to use that for a variety of reasons, mostly Google APIs are always a moving target.

Jared

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Principal Consultant at Pythian
Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Github: https://github.com/jkstill
Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com