Re: OT: PHP 5.6 with ohs in FM11g on Win2k12 (x64)

From: Patrice sur GMail <patrice.boivin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 23:30:29 -0400

sadly my developers want me to install PHP 5.6 with a 11g instantclient for backward compatibility... I decided to download a WAMP server to see how they configured PHP in theirs, discovered they don't use fastCGI or mod_proxy_fcgi at all, they used the old straightforward method. I don't know yet whether it can work at all with ohs

One of PHP's problems is probably that it's not backward compatible from version to version. Every time a new version is released, you lose part of your user base who see upgrading as a major crossroad; then they opt to go somewhere else.

It's sad because we found that PHP served web pages much faster than mod_plsql could.

We experimented with Plone and python at one point but quickly discovered that Plone wasn't scalable. They never had a good driver to connect to Oracle either, when I asked about it at a session at Washington University the attendees looked at me as if I was from the Dark Side (the Oracle, non open-source side). Most of the python and plone users seemed to be small organizations like non profit groups who didn't intend to serve large data sets. Zope is just a flat file, like MS Access. We needed to connect to Oracle and serve scientific data.

thanks Mladen for responding.

--

-- Patrice
My profiles: [image: Facebook]