Re: OT: PHP 5.6 with ohs in FM11g on Win2k12 (x64)

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 21:25:57 -0500

PHP jumped directly from 5.x to 7.x. The version 6.x exists but is practically not used. Most of the people have transitioned directly from 5.x to 7.x. And yes, PHP is being less and less used. I believe that this can be formulated very simply: "Python has prevailed". I used to do a lot of PHP and Perl, but nowadays, everybody wants Python. My favourite for the CLI is still Perl, but the fact is that the new engineers coming out of college mostly uses Python. In other words, Python has constricted PHP, Perl and probably Ruby. I read a book about Python and tried some simple scripts. It's not that bad, although I dislike the consistent object orientation features. I don't believe that OO programming is the best approach for everything. However, if you want to use PHP 7, it's still there. Oracle is still maintaining the oci8 module and it works perfectly. PHP 7 introduced strict typing, which is significant departure from type free language that PHP used to be.

http://php.net> and the underground php manual) which are outdated

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA