crsctl check resource on Rac

From: <mvshelton_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 11:55:22 -0400 (EDT)

I had a disk group on a node in a RAC cluster go in the intermediate state which prevented srvctl from starting the database because there was a dependency on the diskgroup. To resolve the issue I ran a crsctl check resource ora.DBFS_DG.dg which resolved the issue and then the database was able to start just fine through srvctl.

My question is in the oracle documentation it says not to run crsctl check resource on an ora resource. Why is that?

 From 11.2 documentation see notes in bold

crsctl check resource
Use the crsctl check resource command to initiate the check action inside the
application-specific agent of a particular resource. Oracle Clusterware only provides
output if something prevents the system from issuing the check request, such as a bad
resource name.

Usage Notes
■ You must have read and execute permissions on the specified resources to check
them
■ Do not use this command for any resources with names that begin with ora
because these resources are Oracle resources ■ If this command is successful, it only means that a check was issued; it does not
mean the CHECK action has been completed

What I did and results:

oracle_at_thx2db01 trace]$ crsctl stat res -t

NAME TARGET STATE SERVER STATE_DETAILS

Local Resources

ora.DATA_THX2.dg
                ONLINE  ONLINE       thx2db01
                ONLINE  ONLINE       thx2db02
ora.DBFS_DG.dg
                ONLINE  INTERMEDIATE thx2db01                 CHECK
TIMED OUT
                ONLINE  ONLINE       thx2db02

[oracle_at_thx2db01 trace]$ crsctl check resource ora.DBFS_DG.dg